This was funny... I had been talking to this girl in Mumbai for about 3 days... it was Monday and I had just returned to Mumbai from a trip to Bangalore. I was getting late so I went straight to the office from the airport. I left office at about 11:30 in the night and the office cab was dropping me home. On the way home I get a call from her and we are talking about random stuff... my hobbies, travels etc and somehow the discussion went towards being impulsive and she asked me, "are you an impulsive guy?" I think I should have lied but I said yes... and she is like, then ok, come to meet me now! I am like, I should come to Bandra from Powai at around midnight, just like that...? and she is like, yeah, that's being impulsive... I tried to get out of it but she was hell bent on testing my impulsiveness... so I was like what the heck... let's go. I asked the driver to drop me to Bandra instead. He dropped me at a landmark she asked me to wait at so that she can come pick me up. And for the next several minutes that I had to wait for her, I felt so weird that it's hard to explain.
Staying on a quite road in front of a church after midnight, being stared at the scarce passers by... and no matter how confident I was in making a decision to stop by, not knowing whether the person I have been talking to is real and not an old friend playing a prank... or the worst thought that she might stand me up... all this made me quite uncomfortable to say the least. All of a sudden I started doubting the wisdom of my so called impulsive decision...
Anyways, after a long 15-20 minute wait she eventually showed up at about 12:30, and we decided to go to Land's End for a coffee. It was the most expensive coffee I ever had in India and without even taking the price into account, it was a terrible coffee. All this would have been irrelevant if I liked her and enjoyed her company but that didn't happen... she was probably a bit too hyper for me... laughing at absolutely normal things and just getting hung up on something totally inconsequential... she talked for like half an hour about a guy she saw on the road who was getting high on cough syrup... apparently she found it very disturbing and just couldn't get over it. I also got to hear n number of interesting incidents at her current job and previous job and all her travels... one or two of them were actually amusing!
Anyways, at about 2 am, I thought we should call it a night since I had a morning meeting and I still had to prepare for it, plus to be very honest I wasn't enjoying the conversation at all. So we said our goodbyes and went our own ways... she messaged me thrice on my way back, I replied to the first one... and then called again the next day, I was in the office and couldn't answer. Two days later got a message from her saying that I don't look interested to her and it's probably best not to proceed further. I didn't mind it.
This incident made me realize the spectrum of people that are out there on these matrimonial websites... there are girls whom I have been in touch with for more than two months and haven't even gotten beyond talking to their parents and then there are people like her whom I get to meet in two days not knowing anything about each other. The solution probably lies somewhere in the middle... let's see how long it takes me to get to that middle somewhere :-) ... fortunately, I am not in a hurry.
2 comments:
OK, this sounds more like the Western internet dating experience--when there isn't the slightest chemistry...
Himanshu... You are still a rookie dude. This is still gentle compared to the experiences I have had..Wish I had the guts to pen them down. I can promise you few more interesting encounters in future!! But I hope not too many :-).
Post a Comment